The NEXT-ITS 3 project (2018-2020) covers the Northern part of the Scandinavian-Mediterranean corridor, including the core road network and the key comprehensive network links. The project connects North and East Germany and the Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden) to the Central and West European road networks through the Northern sections of the Scandinavian – Mediterranean CEF Corridor. The Northern sections connect with the North-Sea – Baltic CEF Corridor in Berlin, Bremen and Helsinki and to the Orient – East Med CEF Corridor in Bremen, Rostock and Berlin.
The aim of the project is to enhance corridor and network performance by full-scale deployment of ITS services that ensure interoperability and continuity of services, support harmonization, and increase the cost-efficiency in the operation of traffic management.
The ITS Services concerned in NEXT-ITS 3 are the following:
- Information services, including HGV parking services, giving the road users a possibility to make good decisions
- Traffic management services to steer and regulate the traffic flow
- Incident Management to restore normal traffic flow as quickly as possible
- Utilisation of connected vehicles in traffic management
- Data collection through various sources of information as well as data mining and fusion
Traffic Management Centres play a key role in the service provision, regardless of service.
The deployments carried out aim at supporting the provision of the above-mentioned services. Thereby, the partners have identified activities that will:
- Improve performance in the traffic management centres on the corridor
This is achieved through technical and organizational development of Traffic Management Centres and installation of new innovative systems with high performance and quality as required by modern and efficient traffic management.
- Improve the quality of services through higher quality of data
This is achieved through improved data management in Traffic Management Centres and adding new and innovative ways to acquire data, including data fusion.
- Extend the coverage of services along the corridor – Filling gaps in service provision and service quality
The availability to services meeting the minimum level of service requirements differs along the corridor. Attention is given to extending the service to cover and upgrading service quality and service level on sections with particular needs; critical spots, urban interfaces etc.
The activities included in NEXT-ITS 3 will fill gaps in the corridor network performance as well as improve the cost-efficiency in the operation of traffic management and thereby contribute with efforts to build a European integrated road transport system through CEF-corridors. The project will in addition contribute to know-how development and actively engage in the work aiming at European harmonization and knowledge building through evaluation.